- [Ellie challenges Palmer to prove the existence of God]
- Palmer Joss: Did you love your father?
- Ellie Arroway: What?
- Palmer Joss: Your dad. Did you love him?
- Ellie Arroway: Yes, very much.
- Palmer Joss: Prove it. – from Contact
I am making intentional steps to explore more in the areas of church history and foundational theological questions. I’ve been very fortunate to be part of a church that provides the platform that facilitates such pursuits. Here are some conclusions that might ruffle some feathers:
1. Not all verses in the Bible are equal. That’s right, you heard me. Some definitely holds more weight than others.
2. The whole lengthy discussion about big bang theory, evolution and how old the earth really is doesn’t really concern me so much as a Christian. It would have if I really want to satisfy my intellectual appetite, in the spirit of scholasticism. But seriously, as a follower of Christ there are much better stuff to focus on. There, I said it. If you want a discussion, go ask another person.
3. Some people argued that Jesus’ dying on the cross was easy because he is God. I would argue that he is definitely more than capable (thank God!) in achieving the mission – dying in such a way for our sins. But was it easy? Of course not.
4. We all like to treat the Bible like a smorgasbord buffet – taking what we like and reading it in a way that it would suit our situation or predicament. Either to make us feel better or to give us a valid reason for doing what we do, though the folly of misinterpretation falls heavily on us. We, myself included, don’t often allow the Bible to “read” us. Meaning as much as we like to see the Bible working in our lives, we don’t often see ourselves being one of the characters in the Bible. It is not a book to be manipulated. We need to allow it to be what it really is.
5. The authority of the Scriptures should never be upheld above Jesus. When you preach, present it in a way that points the way to Him. People’s eyes should be focused on the Way, the Truth and the Light.