THE WYNTON MARSALIS 12 RULES OF EFFECTIVE PRACTICE:
1. Seek out the best private instruction you can afford.
2. Write/work out a regular practice schedule.
3. Set realistic goals.
4. Concentrate when practicing
5. Relax and practice slowly
6. Practice what you can’t play. – (The hard parts.)
7. Always play with maximum expression.
8. Don’t be too hard on yourself.
9. Don’t show off.
10. Think for yourself. – (Don’t rely on methods.)
11. Be optimistic. – “Music washes away the dust of everyday life.”
12. Look for connections between your music and other things.
After hearing the Malaysian Philharmonic deliver a heartfelt rendition of Carl Davis’ composition for “Lat’s Window To The World“, I thought it’s time to buckle down. The soaring melody produced from the first trumpet seat rang crystal clear in my ears. I’m convinced that these guys (artists) have the best jobs.
There is a long journey ahead but nothing great is achieved without struggles. Indeed we must, as mentioned in point 11 – be optimistic. For music washes away the dust of everyday life. Preach it Wynton. That’s good news for me today.